SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
In the army of Christ we may not be the leaders and the generals whose names are on every lip;
but we can at least be the private soldiers, whose names are unknown, but on whose valor the outcome
of the battle must depend. (William Barclay)
LOVED ONE OF THE WEEK – [recovering from broken hip]
William “Chick” Bugher, 4896 North 200 West, Patoka, IN 47666
PRAYER LIST… Pray One for Another – James 5:16
[Last Week’s Additions & Updates Are in BOLD]
- Our sympathy & prayers are extended to the family & friends of Ruby Marling(friend of Tabitha Anthis).
- Retta Gaines (mother-in-law of Melissa Gaines / in hospital this past week with heart issues / possible heart attack)
- Charlene Frazier (health concerns)
- Chris MacKay (health concerns)
- Bob May (father of Jeff May / recovering from emergency surgery to remove 6-8 inches of colon / biopsy / no cancer – PTL!) – at home
- Don Colvin (father of Amber May / cataract surgery – moved to March 17th)
- Thomas Ault (travel mercies & safety as he travels to Cartagena, Columbia March 11th-19th for a study abroad class with Purdue University)
- Justin Dyehouse (38 yrs. old / son of co-worker of Debbie Bryant / recovering from triple bypass heart surgery / no damage PTL!) – St. Mary’s
- William “Chick” Bugher (fell out of grain truck / broken hip)
- Unspoken Requests (concerning jobs)
- Joyce McKnight (sister of Grace Luttrell / dealing with depression & suicidal thoughts)
- John Wagner (son-in-law of Virginia Horath / stage 3 cancer of the neck & throat)
- Florence Rodgers (mother of Debby Phares)
- Kaylin Winkler (recovering from surgeries to remove blood clot in arm) – at home
- Bob Cloin (recovering from pneumonia & recent hospital stay) – River Oaks
- Patricia Cardin (step-mother of Chris MacKay / stage 4 cancer / undergoing chemo)
- Jim Key (health concerns / greatly improved) – at home
- Jeff Stenfenagel (co-worker of Greg Ault / stage 4 cancer)
- Jewell Pressley (friend of Dorthy Douglas / stage 4 cancer)
- Bernie Burger(father of Bonnie Pinney / health concerns)
- Tom Bryant (health concerns) – at home
- Vic Welch (uncle of Darla Meyer Smith & Lisa Meyer / undergoing cancer treatment)
- Faith Livermore (health concerns)
- Carol (friend of Bonnie / acute leukemia / undergoing treatment)
- Jeannette Dickerson (sister of Patti Davis / rehab facility in Terre Haute)
- Lana Kennedy (friend of Buddy & Puff Rogers / cancer / radiation & chemo)
- Heather Luttrell (continuing health concerns)
- Cody Byrns (further surgeries & rehab for injuries & burns from auto accident)
- Ed Knust & Ruth Knust (Ed-recovering from cataract surgery / Ruth-receiving pain treatment) – at home
- Military: Matt Welsh (nephew of Puff & Buddy Rogers / deployed to Asia Pacific); Mark Ambrose, Jr. (Grandbig of Kevin Meyer / on alert status with U.S. Coast Guard / currently completing degree at Ball State); Brad Hale (nephew of Dick & Babs Johnson/re-deployed); Derek Wilson(nephew of Pat Chamberlain & Jo Ellen Bingham/Navy/Naples, Italy); Christopher Cook & family (Turkey); Those Who Can’t Be With Us Today; Unspoken Concerns; Trinity Cluster Churches
UP FRONT NEXT SUNDAY
ACOLYTES—Kimberly Chamberlain & Addison Schafer
BELL STEWARD—Patty Craig
CHILDREN’S CHURCH—Amanda Sands
CHILDREN’S MESSAGE—Debby Phares
GREETERS—Sue Ellen Parker
USHERS—Frank Conner, John Anthis, Mike Phares, Don Davis
WORSHIP LEADER—Ron Hudson
THIS WEEK’S ACTIVITIES & UPCOMING EVENTS
TODAY UMYF, 10:30-11:30am , FLC Reserved, 12:00pm
TUESDAY FLC Reserved, all day, GGH Devotional Service, 2:00pm, Choir, 6:00pm , Bible Study, 7:00pm
WEDNESDAY Nurture, 6:00pm, Ad. Council, 6:30pm
THURSDAY DEADLINE FOR EASTER EGG HUNT DONATIONS
FRIDAY Fill Eggs, 9:00am in FLC Wesley Room (volunteers needed)
SATURDAY FLC Reserved, all day
3/20/16 PALM SUNDAY – Easter Egg Hunt, following Sunday School, FLC Reserved, 12:00pm
3/22/16 Choir, 6:00pm, Bible Study, 7:00pm
3/25/16 Maundy Thursday/Good Friday Services – 2:00pm at GGH & 7:00pm at PUMC
EASTER FLOWERS: You can now order lilies or tulips “in honor of” or “in memory of” friends, family and loved ones, to share with the church this Easter Sunday and take home afterwards. Order forms are on the foyer table and should be turned – with payment – to Marilyn Hudson no later than next Sunday, March 20th. Checks should be made payable to Patoka United Methodist Church.
BRIDAL SHOWER!! You are invited to a bridal shower for Hana Wilzbacher – the future Mrs. Ethan Muncy – this afternoon at 2:00pm in the Patoka UMC Family Life Center. Hana & Ethan are registered at Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, and J.C. Penney.
CHOIR PRACTICE!! Anyone wishing to be a part of a special choir that will sing on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday, practices will be held on Tuesdays – March 15th & 22nd at 6:00pm.
EGG HUNT DONATIONS will be needed for the children’s Easter Egg Hunt on Palm Sunday, March 20th following Sunday School. Donations of very small, individually wrapped candies, stickers & toys, as well as LARGE Easter eggs are needed by this Thursday, March 17th, and should be left in the collection box in the Family Life Center Wesley Room. Volunteers will be needed Friday, March 18th at 9:00am (Wesley Room) to fill eggs.
GOD KEEPS HIS PROMISES WOMEN’S CONFERENCE is scheduled for Saturday, March 19th at First United Methodist Church in Fort Branch from 9:00am-2:00pm. The cost is $20/person and includes special guest speaker Sue Heimer, praise/worship, luncheon, and t-shirt. For more information contact Kristi Pflug at 812-664-1108 or First UMC at 812-753-4424. All ladies are welcome!
BABY SHOWER… JOIN US as we celebrate the anticipated arrival of baby Westlund with a shower for Demi next Sunday, March 20th at 1:30pm in the Patoka UMC Family Life Center!!
GOOD FRIDAY SERVICE AT GIBSON GENERAL HOSPITAL 5th floor activities area is scheduled for March 25th at 2:00pm. Come join us as we share the afternoon with residents & staff. We hope you choose to be with us this year.
COMBINED MAUNDY THURSDAY & GOOD FRIDAY SERVICE AT PUMC: Join us at 7:00pm Friday, March 25th for something a little different, uplifting, challenging and inspiring as we reflect through word & song on Christ’s final moments of ministry on this earth. Invite someone.
EASTER SONRISE SERVICE – BREAKFAST – WORSHIP: We begin Easter, Sunday, March 27th with Sonrise Service at 6:30am, followed by breakfast & fellowship in the Family Life Center. Then you and your family and guests are invited to gather in the sanctuary at 9:15 to praise, rejoice, sing & celebrate our Risen Savior!
LENTEN DEVOTIONALS & COIN BOXES STILL AVAILABLE: Lenten devotionals are on the foyer table for those who do not have email. Pastor Jeff will gladly send the daily devotionals to anyone with email, upon request. If you are currently on his email list there is no need to contact him. And don’t forget to pick up a coin box to take home and fill during the season of Lent. This year’s Lenten Offering will go toward landscaping & lawn care for our church campus. Coin boxes will be collected on Easter Sunday, March 27th.
UMYH TEA PARTY: United Methodist Youth Home invites you to their annual Tea Party Saturday, April 9th from 1:00-3:00pm at Evansville Country Club. There will be tea sandwiches, veggies, fruit, dessert, and of course, tea! Also a presentation on UMYH, music, and a silent auction with all proceeds going to their Residential Day Treatment & Truancy-intervention programs. Cost is $30/person or group rate(6 seats)/$150. Registration forms are available in the church office. For more info contact Josey Roth at 812-479-7535 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AUCTION: Patoka UMC’s annual dinner & auction is set for Saturday, April 9th, beginning with dinner at 4:30pm and live auction at 5:30pm. $7/adults; $4/kids 10 & under. Dinner includes homemade soups, sandwiches, chips dessert & drink. The auction will offer handmade crafts, homemade baked goods, jelly, relish, candy, quilted items, gift certificates, gift baskets, Vera Bradley items, sports items, and more!! If you have homemade or quilted items, furniture, antiques, any items listed above, or newly purchased items that you might donate please leave them in the old nursery room in the church basement. Please leave gift certificates in Jamie Schafer’s tray in the church office. There is currently a box on the foyer table for donations to go toward the cost of the soup, sandwiches and chips. The auction committee will purchase these items. Volunteers are already in place to prepare the food, however, there are sign-up sheets for desserts and for workers that evening, on the foyer table. In the meantime, mark your calendars and start inviting friends & neighbors!!. Questions? Contact Jamie Schafer, Bonnie Pinney, Laura Heidenreich or Patty Craig.
SOULFEST: Oakland City University will host SoulFest on Saturday, April 9th at 6:00pm in Johnson Center, featuring Anonamus, Cochren & Co., The Great Command, We Are Messengers (Winter Jam 2016), and About A Mile (Winter Jam 2015). The event is FREE. Concessions will be available, with proceeds going to help support the OCU Missions Team’s annual trip to Honduras. To find out more about this event see the bulletin board flyer.
CONCERT: Christian recording artist Gordon Mote will be at Owensville United Methodist Church Sunday, April 10th at 6:00pm. Mote is a Christian country singer, pianist & worship leader, has released 8 albums including “Don’t Let Me Miss the Glory”, and has worked with a number of well established artists, toured with Gaither Homecoming, and received the Academy of Country Music award for Piano/Keyboards Player of the Year. Cost: Free Will Offering. You don’t want to miss this one folks!!
RETIREMENT PARTY FOR GEORGE & DIANE PURNELL… Please save the date of Sunday, April 17th and plan to attend a Celebration of Ministry / Retirement Party for our DS, Rev. Dr. George Purnell and his wife, Diane at Aldersgate United Methodist Church, 5130 Lincoln Avenue in Evansville. Pastors and friends may begin to gather between 2:00-3:00pm to enjoy refreshments and take the opportunity to congratulate George and Diane on their years of ministry and service. At 3:00pm there will be a celebration program in the sanctuary where several special guests will be given the opportunity to recognize the wonderful ministry that the Purnells have offered to the churches and district to which they were assigned. Opportunity for more refreshments and personal greeting will then continue until 5:00pm.
PRISCILLA SHIRER SIMULCAST: First General Baptist Church in Princeton will host a Priscilla Shirer simulcast on Saturday, April 23rd from 8:30am-4:15pm at the church – 2101 E. Broadway (on the hill, just past F & M). Come for a day of worship and teaching. Priscilla’s ministry to women across the country and around the world is focused on the expository teaching of the Word of God. Her desire is to see women come to a full understanding of who they are in Christ by hearing the uncompromising truth of Scripture. There will also be music and worship, uplifting fellowship & prayer, door prizes and more that day! Pre-register before March 20th for $20.00 plus lunch. Registration after March 20th or the day of the event is $25.00 plus lunch. To pre-register/register send an email to email@example.com. Include names, addresses and phone numbers for all ladies you are bringing with you. Lunch may be available. More details to follow.
WEBSITE: Visit www.patokaumc.org regularly for information. Also note that it is compatible with your phone! Calendar will be kept up to date, information on happenings, today’s children’s program will be on the site, this and a lot more! If you would like to help maintain the web site, please let Pastor Jeff know.
Your brother needs your help, but you meanwhile mumble your little prayers to God, pretending not to see your brother’s need. (Desiderius Erasmus)